Mangatangi School was established in 1919 and consisted of 1 classroom, staffroom and toilet blocks all under the same roof.
Local farmers helped build the school and clear the land. Many of their descendants still farm the area and have children attending this school.
There are rivers, creeks, streams, hills and valleys surrounding Mangatangi School and we are nestled in the Firth of Thames.
Combined community support has been instrumental in the success of the school. The support has seen the development of adventure playgrounds, netball and tennis courts, assorted gardens and a swimming pool area.
Our school now has moved into the new millennium, with an upgraded library and computer suite. Excellent outdoor facilities including access to the neighbouring tennis courts, swimming pool, an adventure playground and established grounds. With our rural flavour we provide a country atmosphere with city convenience.
“Mangatangi School will provide an enriched learning environment where children are encouraged to develop a lifelong“Thirst for Learning” to reach their fullest potential.”
The personal values our school wants to encourage are:
Children who:• Are honest, reliable and trustworthy
• Are keen to learn
• Are independent
• Are confident
• Set and achieve their own goals
• Value effort and always do their personal best
• Are proud of their achievements
• Are proud of their school
• Have a sense of identity and self worth
• Take responsibility for their own actions
• Have initiative and perseverance
• Are fair, thoughtful and caring to others
• Handle conflict in a positive way and can say no when things don't feel right
• Care for the school by keeping it tidy
• Are proud of being a New Zealander
T hinking Encouraging creative, critical thinking
H auora Promoting wellbeing
I nspiring Filling the mind with enthusiasm
R elating to others Teaching life skills
S elf Managing The ability to make plans, set goalsT eam Building Participating and contributing